Home Forums General Changes to D category Instructors ratings

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I have recently been made aware of proposed changes to D category Instructors ratings. It is proposed that we would have to regularly prove our competency by doing a separate flight test to our BFR or annual check ride with an approved testing officer.

What a load of b/s! There are many like myself who have been commercially and privately flying for a considerable time and have been doing type ratings on machines, assisting young pilots to go forward – usually at no cost to them. To have to incur ANY cost over and above what is incurred for flight proficiency checks is another cost guaranteed to be the final straw causing withdrawal from industry service by some very experienced people who have much to offer.

Surely any assessment of proficiency to impart knowledge and grant a type rating can be made by the checking instructor at the same time as a flight proficiency check and would be a simple and efficient way to cover the topic? In my own case, I have been flying 52 years on more than 120 types and currently do only two or three type ratings on tailwheel aircraft in mountainous strip terrain only.

It is an arena where I have conducted thousands of successful flight hours and I do not charge any aspirants for my services. If I have to pay one cent more to  keep that rating and continue this contribution, then I’m out of here!

I am sure there will be others like myself who are sick of the continual squeezing of the aviation community for more dollars by imposition of additional factors that have nothing to do with ongoing safety – by a bean-counting, paper-driven bureaucracy kowtowing to politicians who double-speak about cross-subsidisation.

I would ask the question “Has anyone assessed the advantage to the nation and the commercial aviation industry of the huge personal inputs by aspiring young people as they fund their own enormous costs to become productive aviation personnel?”

It is the newcomers who are partly subsidising industry and the CAA by their very goals and I would suggest that maybe we should consider CAA as our ‘clients’ really; because without us and the industry, they would not exist. Cheesed off? You bet!

By the way, don’t get me started on to extra medical checks imposed in this country for no real reason except for age, once you get to be a pensioner! Doesn’t happen in other countries where I hold licences.

Biggles

• This topic was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by the GAA team.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Biggles, I agree whole heartedly with your comments regarding the proposed changes to D Cats. Instead of endeavouring to tap into this considerable pool of experience throughout NZ,  gained through many hours of flight, the CAA are instead actively rejecting it, by making it more difficult to obtain and also renew a D Cat. This is an absolute nonsense ! How can this be in the interests of “safety”?

There are many, many, grey haired pilots with extensive experience of working in taildraggers, flying in and out of strips in the mountains, who with a glance at the sky and the mountains can assess changes in weather conditions and make an accurate judgement call on the wisdom of a particular flight.

These pilots are only too happy to pass on their experience to a younger generation at no cost. However our Regulator has decided that they will instead, make it more difficult for this experience to be passed down to them.

I wonder how many of these CAA administrators, who are responsible for these NPRM decisions have ever “walked the walk” as, mountain pilots or Ag pilots. Given the choice between a young, 25 year old 600 hour B Cat, who ticks all the CAA boxes, and a grey haired ex ski plane pilot or Ag pilot of 18,000 hours with a D Cat, I know who I would rather have training a son or daughter.

This is a just another example of people sitting behind desks in their fancy new offices in Featherston St  telling us that “they know best” and that our opinions don’t count.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s typical of CAA.

Another way to grab money. And it’s a way for guys who never made it to have an effect on those that have.

Soon we will have to do a separate flight test for every rating, licence, renewal and so on!

Makes you wonder how the industry will survive when all the experienced guys leave to fly overseas or just flag it altogether.

Leaving the 600 B cats to instruct.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have just completed my submission for the rule part 61.

Make sure you do one and submit. if not you will be subjected to CAA’s std non realistic way of doing things with $$$$ attached!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.